Jefferson Education Accelerator and New Market Venture Partners hiring an Investment Analyst
Formed in 2002, New Markets Venture Partners is one of the nation’s premier venture capital fund investing primarily in educational technology and service companies that are focused on improving student outcomes. We are looking to hire an Associate / Investment Analyst to join the New Markets Management Team and to participate in all investment and portfolio management actives. Specifically, the Associate will assist with the following:
• Conducting market and financial diligence on prospective investments;
• Building financial models for prospective investments;
• Researching markets, competitors, strategic partners and acquirers for portfolio companies;
• Writing investment memos; and
• Collecting financial Information from Portfolio Companies to evaluate and maintain their performance and valuations models;
The Associate will work approximately two thirds of the time on New Markets projects and one third on the same activities for the Jefferson Education Accelerator (JEA). Founded in 2015 by the University of Virginia’s Curry School of Education Foundation, JEA is the nation’s first accelerator program to support growth-stage education companies, as opposed to startups.
JEA helps education companies grow by facilitating pilot programs at schools, colleges, and universities nationwide, and by helping education companies do research to demonstrate that their products actually have a meaningful impact on student learning outcomes. In addition, JEA operates a venture fund. In your capacity supporting JEA you will also be:
• Researching and writing a series of high profile “sector reports” intended to support JEA and New Markets strategic direction as well as help school district, college, and university leaders understand various EdTech product niches; and
• Interviewing and then supervising University of Virginia student interns who will be available to support some of your work.
The right candidate will be very self-directed and comfortable working on a small team. We are looking for someone with very strong financial modeling, accounting, market research, writing and presentation skills. We are also looking for someone who is optimistic, service oriented, deeply analytical, strategically creative and intellectually curious. Most importantly, preferred candidates will bring a strong sense of humor, creativity, confidence and humility to this exciting work. Experience and interest in the education space are a strong plus. Compensation will include salary, bonus and equity participation.
Both New Markets Venture Partners and the Jefferson Education Accelerator are located in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. We expect that this person will be based primarily out of the New Markets office and will spend approximately five days per month in the Jefferson Education offices.
Please send resume and cover letter to the attention of Barbara Messina at firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject line: Analyst Position.